Biatholon competition tests skiing/ shooting skills at Winter Olympics in South Korea
Biathlon athletes are proficient in both cross-country skiing, and sharp shooting under pressure and will show their skills at the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics.
A biathlon race consists of athletes racing around a closed course with a rifle strapped to their back, and they periodically stop at designated stations to shoot a series of targets.
Each competitor is equipped with a small-bore .22 caliber rifle. Shooters are penalized for each shot missed, where, depending on the race format, the penalty can either be an additional lap around a 150m track, or a 1-minute penalty added to their final time – the penalty track is separate from the race track.
According to USA Today, there will be a total of 11 biathlon events featured in the upcoming 2018 Winter Olympics, and these are the five formats you can expect to see when they begin this weekend:
* Individual (men’s 20 km, women’s 15 km) – Competitors start in intervals, and go through four shooting segments, with five targets each. Missed targets result in a one-minute penalty.
* Sprint (men’s 12.5 km, women’s 7.5 km) – The same format as individual, but half the length and with only two shooting segments. Missed targets result in a 150m penalty loop.
* Pursuit (men’s 12.5 km, women’s 10 km) – The top finishers from the sprint race start in front, and the competitors have to “pursue” the leaders. The goal is to be the first to cross the finish line. There are four shooting segments with five targets each, and missed targets result in a 150m penalty loop.
* Mass start (men’s 15km, women’s 12.5 km) – Competitors start simultaneously, and the first to cross the finish line wins. There are four shooting segments and each missed shot results in a 150m penalty loop.
* Relay (men’s 4?7.5 km, women’s 4x6km) – The first member of each relay team begins simultaneously. Each competitor has two shooting segments, and they get three additional rounds – manually loaded – if they miss a target. If they still have misses, they must do the 150m penalty loop for each missed target.
* Mixed relay (2.6km women + 2?7.5 men) – The women run the first first two legs of the relay, going 6km each, while the men run 7.5km. Each athlete has two shooting portions, and get three additional rounds.
REMINGTON OUTDOORS (FIREARMS) CONSIDERING BANKRUPTCY
The Outdoor Hub reports that Remington Outdoor Company Inc., has reportedly reached out to a number of banks and credit investment funds looking for help on the financing front that will ultimately allow them to file for bankruptcy.
According to Reuters, Remington – one of the outdoor industry’s largest U.S. firearms maker – has been working with investment firm Lazard Ltd (LAZ.N) to think up with a strategy for restructuring its $950 million debt.
Like most in the gun industry, Remington’s sales have dipped because there is no longer fear that guns will become more heavily regulated by U.S. government. President Trump has made it abundantly clear that he never plans on impeding “the right of the people to keep and bear arms.”
This is shocking and disappointing to this outdoor writer as all my long guns are Remington, the most and affordable popular hunting rifles and shotguns for many years. This may explain why Remington had a much smaller booth at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg. At last years show the exhibit booth was huge and impressive.
Leave a Reply.
Nick Hromiak has been an outdoors and automotive writer for over 30 years. He's been published in numerous national and state-wide outdoor magazines and newspapers.